Thursday, 21 September 2017

 

Taiwan's health authorities will conduct stringent checks of potato suppliers after reports that French fries served at fast food restaurants were found with green patches.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) official Cheng Wei-chih said that potatoes can turn green due to exposure to enough light. However, consuming a large amount of green potato can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea as it often contains a toxic chemical called solanine. No regulations regarding the maximum level of solanine are imposed yet, Cheng added, according to Taiwannews.com.

To ease public concerns about food safety, fast food restaurants in Taipei and Tainan were checked for their potato wedges and no safety concerns were found, Cheng said. Moreover, Cheng urged that green potatoes shall not be sold from the upstream suppliers.

According to Cheng, food vendors which were found to either sell or use potatoes containing solanine can be fined.

After a complaint regarding the potato wedges in one of their restaurant, McDonald’s has adopted strict control measures requiring suppliers and workers to remove green potatoes. However, both McDonald's and KFC argued that the green color found in potatoes exposed to enough sunlight is chlorophyll and not poisonous. 

Related articles: 

A Research Consortium Studies Potato Greening 

FDA Investigates Listeria Outbreak Linked to Frozen Vegetables, Including Potatoes 

China and Hong Kong Get Ready for over 1,500 McDonald’s Restaurants

Digital edition


Click or tap to view our digital magazine
on your tablet or mobile device.

 x 
Cart empty

Latest Events

Oct 7th 2017 - Oct 11th 2017
Anuga
Nov 22nd 2017 - Nov 24th 2017
The Potato Industry Event
Jan 10th 2018 - Jan 13th 2018
Potato Expo

Trade Media Solutions S.R.L. | 1-5 G-ral David Praporgescu Str., 1st Floor, District 2, 020965 Bucharest, Romania.
Tel: +40 (0) 21 31 590 31  | E-mail: office@mediatrade.ro